Thursday, July 19, 2012

Born Wicked (The Cahill Witch Chronicles #1) by Jessica Spotswood



Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood
★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 
Four/five stars!
Okay, wow. This was quite a book. I was really bored with it in the beginning and put it on-hold, but I figured I better read it, so I did. And I didn’t stop reading. And oh my, did it get better! This was such a beautiful book. The olden day language had me swooning, it was so beautiful. This book had be going crazy, and verbally abusing it! I loved this book.
Cate and her two sisters, Maura and Tess, are witches. In Cate’s world, being a witch is a very dangerous thing. There are strict laws about magic and being a witch.  Being accused of witchery could land you in the asylum or prison. Or you could end up being dead. Cate’s mother died when Cate was young, leaving Cate with several responsibilities, almost impossible for a girl of her age. She must protect her siblings and her family of being accused of a witch. But when Cate finds are letter addressed to her that leads her to finding her mother’s diary, a strange button, a prophecy, a mystery godmother and the Brotherhood breathing down her neck, what can Cate do? And when the time has come to finally start thinking about her future: husband or Sisterhood, what, and more importantly, who will Cate choose?
I fell in love with this book after about page 60. I got used to the language and the characters and eventually found myself falling into the story. It was so beautifully written and the description was lovely! I could clearly picture the fashions from back then. All the girls gathered in the church in long detailed dresses. And the boys, calling on the girls! How formal! Nowadays, you get a text or a Facebook message! God, boys these days suck. I think Cate was a good character. She was strong, reliable and realistic, apart from the obvious witch stuff, of course. I connected with her, in a way I hadn’t thought possible. I mean, I live in the 21st century and I don’t have boys calling on me and asking for my hand in marriage at seventeen!
I liked Tess, Cate’s youngest sister. She was so cute! The middle Cahill sister, Maura, was kind of annoying. She was rude and didn’t understand that Cate was trying so hard to protect them from everything. And Cate’s mother, Anna, although she didn’t feature in the story much alive, she was very much a part of the story! Cate was going crazy because of her mother’s diary and the stupid prophecy! I didn’t really like Paul. He was too cocky and arrogant. He was so full of himself; sure that Cate was going to accept his proposal, after all the years of lost friendship. What a wanker. She wasn’t a big part of the story, but I liked Finn’s mother. She was nice and helpful! And, of course, Finn was my favourite! TEAM FINN, thank you very much! He was so perfect. He was not in a high class, and his mother owned a book store that the Brotherhood were determined to close down, but he set his sights high on Cate, no matter what. God, he was so cute!! “Boys in books are better”.
I loved this book and cannot wait until the next one! I mean, come on, why did you have to leave us hanging like that Miss Jessica Spotswood! Ahh Team Finn, forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment