Saturday, December 8, 2012

Opal (Lux #3) by Jennifer L. Armentrout



Opal by Jennifer L Armentrout

★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 

Four and a half/five stars

*Do not read this if you haven’t read Obsidian or Onyx! Spoilers*

Oh wow! I absolutely loved Opal. When I found out it was released early, I was ecstatic! I was finally going to read the third book in the Lux series. Then I found out even though some people had the book, I couldn’t buy it. Heart = broken. Then, when I was sitting in science, I released that I did, indeed, haveOpal sitting on my Kindle Cloud Reader. Well, you can just imagine my reaction (think small scream, fangirling, rapid uncontrolled breathing and hysterical giggling). Opal was everything I expected and more. It completely blew me away, especially the end. The end tore me to pieces (unfortunately whilst I was in public).

Katy and Daemon are FINALLY together. Daemon has gone to great lengths to prove his feelings for Katy. And, lucky for him, Katy just can’t deny her own feelings. After the dramatic ending to Onyx, we are slowly introduced to the emotionally unstable yet thoughtful and passionate character that is Daemon’s brother, Dawson. He has finally been freed from “hell”, but at what cost? He’s not the normal Dawson. He is grieving and mourning his one true love, Beth, who is still in the… “hybrid asylum”. Dawson is determined to get Beth back, no matter what. So when Blake (Urgh…) arrives back in town with some rather helpful news, Katy and Daemon are wary, but they’d do anything to help Dawson get Beth back. But is Blake really trying to help them, or does he have ulterior motives. 

Everything about this book was well developed and thought out and, well executed. It was all absolutely amazing. There were a few things that bugged me though, like the undeveloped stories.
(view spoiler) I didn’t necessarily understand the point of that. Well, I did, kinda, but it was undeveloped. Nothing happened after Katy’s big blow out. Other than that, the book was as enjoyable as the first two. 

I loved Katy in Opal; probably not as much as in Obsidian andOnyx, but still. Even though her and Daemon are together, she didn’t let him dominate her and boss her around, like douche Daemon would do. He tried, but she stood her ground, and I was really pleased with that. Her and Daemon were like a team, so she sometimes didn’t really get a say in some things, but it wasn’t too frequent. Another thing I absolutely loved about Kat was that she’s a massive book freak, like a lot of people who are reading her story. I think JLA was really clever including that into her character because a lot more people can relate to her easier. I loved her fangirling over books and blogging and laptops! I was really happy with Katy’s character, again, and I can’t wait to read the rest of the series.

“I had no idea where those calories went. To his ego, maybe?” -Katy

I can’t believe I’m about to say this, but I really, really liked Daemon in Opal. Like, a lot. He was caring and kind and thoughtful towards Katy and an almost perfect boyfriend. There were times when, yes, of course I wanted to hit him, but generally he didn’t piss me off too much. Douche Daemon did occasionally come out to play, but Katy stood up to him and majorly hurt his ego. He was overprotective of Katy and very sensitive but sometimes that was good; he was just looking out for his girl. Apparently it will be both Katy and Daemon’s POV in the next book, Origin, and I’m definitely looking forward to that!

“God, I am so going to sneak into your bathroom like the Invisible Man.” -Daemon

I also really enjoyed reading about the Opal part of the book. Like, learning about the stone. Even though in real life, I'm sure opal and onyx don't counteract each other and make aliens stronger, but still. It was very interesting. And very well done. 

I found myself constantly thinking about this book! I actually woke up at 4:15am and read it (I’m reaaallllyyyy sick and my sleep patterns were crazy!). I’m so pleased Opal was released early, it kept me company while I was dying, feverish and between naps. I cannot wait to read the rest of the series!!!

“And when you’re dead,” Daemon threw back. “You’ll stop talking when you’re dead.” –Daemon to Blake

Also, the end totally threw me. I was a complete mess. I had to re-read the last couple of pages to understand WTF just happened. God, it wrecked me, honestly. JLA, how could you do this to me?!?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment