Sunday, December 23, 2012

Dreamland by Sarah Dessen



Dreamland by Sarah Dessen

★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 

Four/five stars
This was not my favourite Sarah Dessen book, but it was one of the most memorable. Instead of ending the book with a happily ever after, with the couple is reuniting after some disagreement, Dessen included a major plot twist. I was so pleased with the book. It was deeper than her other summer love type stories. Dreamland dealt with real issues. It was meaningful, unforgettable and beautifully executed in true Sarah Dessen style. I fell in love, once again. 

When Caitlin's life completely changes on her birthday, she feels totally alone. So when Rogerson enters her life with his preppy school ways, drugs and partying just when she needs him things are looking up. But when their relationship starts to go from perfect to complete and utter crap, Caitlin can't find it in her to let him go and leave. So when Rogerson continues to abuse, Caitlin lets it go from bad to worse. 

As I mentioned before, this was not my favourite Sarah Dessen book. Dreamland was very deep, dark and meaningful. It was a far cry from her usual beach, summer fling novels I usually enjoy. But regardless I enjoyed Dreamland. Although Dessen dealt with such a difficult issue, she managed to execute it perfectly. It was done with such poise and knowledge of a wonderful, awarding winning author. Even though it wasn't her usual style, Dessen still managed to captive me right up until the very last page.

Caitlin was a meh character, unfortunately. She couldn't survive well on her own. She stuck around with other people and just let life go on around her. Caitlin made no move to affect her life in anyway, she didn't change it, just lived it. I got mad at her for not standing up for herself against Rogerson. But then I realized it would be very hard. I started to like her a lot more at the end. She grew as a person and I enjoyed reading the change in demeanour. 

I hated Rogerson, right from the beginning. He was arrogant, cocky and a bastard. I did not like him at all.

Not my favourite, but definitely one that will stick with me forever, I loved this Sarah Dessen book. I would recommend it to anyone and everyone. It really did have some good messages that many teenagers could learn from. 

2 comments:

  1. This looks quite good -- great review! The cover of that book is simple but effective! :) I like your blog by the way! Do you think you could check mine out? I'm also a teen blogger!
    ~ Ruby @ http://feedmebooksnow.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I love this cover. Sure I'll check it out!

      Delete