Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Dizzy by Nyrae Dawn and Jolene Perry


Dizzy by Nyrae Dawn and Jolene Perry

★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 

Four/ five stars


I decided to buy Dizzy after reading some very good reviews praising the authors for such an awesome book! I love contemporary books and I thought this one was going to be a heart breaking, beautiful, breath taking story. I enjoyed Dizzy, although not as much as I thought I would. There was something about Dizzy that was lacking. Maybe it was the writing, maybe it was the characters or the plot, but whatever it was, affected my rating and thoughts on the book.

The Gibson boys made a pact after they were betrayed and left by their mother and wife: no girls. Girls were bad news. They got into your life, under your skin, and then left you high and dry. That explains why Dylan is so shocked (and pissed) when he finds out his brother, Derrick is getting married. MARRIED! The pact has been broken, but could it be for the better?

Ziah's sister, Lora has lectured Ziah about her motto: school first, career second and boys third. This is why Ziah is completely and utterly in shock when her mum informs her that Lora is, in fact, getting married. She hasn't even finished college for crying out loud! Maybe it's time for Ziah to lecture Lora the her motto. But when Ziah is roped into wedding planning with Lora's fiancées brother, she realises, after a while, that maybe Lora getting married isn't so bad after all.

Dizzy was such a cute contemporary romance novel! It was short and adorable and made me feel all gooey and smiley. I’ve never read a Jolene Perry book before, so I didn’t really know her style, but I enjoyed her chapters. I have read two Nyrae Dawn books before and they were so cute, so I was definitely looking forward to her chapters. Together, Dawn and Perry managed to write a very cute YA romance.

I’m not really sure how I felt about Ziah. She was strong sometimes, yet weak other times. She was honest with herself, and yet she denied her feelings, even to herself. I didn’t understand her! She wanted to be friends, then it was more than friends, then it was nothing at all. Ziah gave up and got embarrassed easily. She was a likable character, I suppose. I can see why people like her, sure, but I can definitely see where people didn’t like her. My opinions on her are kinda in the middle. Another “meh” character, I guess.

Dylan was a douche for the first part of the book, but he got better. He had a lot to deal with, and he didn’t necessarily deal with it well, but he tried. And I admired him for that. He also wasn’t too proud to admit that he liked Ziah, and I liked that. I’m not really sure if I liked Dylan that much, but I still liked him a bit.

Overall I thought Dizzy was a good book, it was just lacking in some unknown department! 

No comments:

Post a Comment