Friday, August 31, 2012

Temptation by Karen Ann Hopkins


Temptation by Karen Ann Hopkins

★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 
Four/five stars 

Temptation was an interesting book. It was not only just an enjoyable, cute contemporary, but a learning experience! I learnt lots of information about Amish people and their culture and community. Temptation was an amazing love story full of promises, rebellion and loss.

After the death of her mother, Rose, her two brothers Sam and Justin and her dad move to Ohio, smack-bang in the middle of an Amish community. They are, obviously, aware of the Amish community, and are willing to embrace the culture, but little do they realize how much it will affect them. Eventually, Rose finds herself torn between her family and love.

When there is news of new neighbours, Noah is intrigued, especially when he finds out they are English. As the neighbours arrive, Noah, his dad and older brother go to meet them. And to Noah and his family surprise, they will be seeing Rose a lot more often.

When I requested this book, I knew that it was going to feature a lot about Amish people. The blurb said so. But I didn't realize how much! Temptation is in alternative POV's which gives as more of an insight into the daily life of an Amish person.

Of all the characters in the book, none of them were bad. It's just that the Amish women were so... Different. And the men! Oh god, sometimes I just wanted to hit them. I mean, I understand the culture, mostly, but it's the 21st century! Women have rights! It just frustrated me, nothing again the Amish people!! I honestly do not think I could live like that. 

"Don't these women know that we fought for and won equality?" – Rose

“Can’t you men control yourselves?” - Rose

Rose was a good, solid, but slightly typical main character. She didn’t really do much for me, unfortunately. I didn't fall in love with her or anything. She wasn't too special, although I admired her courage throughout the book. She was a strong character. Noah was alright. He was kind of stupid. Like, no offense, but did he really just expect Rose to follow him? I mean, really. But he was alright. I can imagine him as a good looking, cocky and arrogant man.

The romance...Uh, it was good, and well written and everything, but there was something about it. I liked it, and it was a good part of the book, but there was just something. It seemed a little forced and old fashioned maybe? A little bit silly, even. But, it was enjoyable and I enjoyed reading about the ups and downs of Rose and Noah’s relationship.

Overall, this was a nice book! I liked it. The characters weren't anything special, but the plot was solid and well thought out. Temptation was very well written and I will definitely be looking at more of this authors work.

Thanks to NetGalley and Harlequin for giving me the opportunity to read this!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment