Sunday, August 5, 2012

{Unrelated} Esther Day


On the 3rd of August, every year, Nerdfighters around the world celebrate Esther Day. Esther died of cancer a couple of years ago, at age 16. She had battled cancer since she was 12. The cancer, after 4 long years, caught up with her in August, 2010. This year, it would have been her 18th birthday. 

The Vlogbrothers, Hank and John Green, visited Esther and said that they would do anything she wanted them to do, to remember her on her birthday every year. Esther told them she wanted them to talk about love, between friends and family. So every year Hank and John Green tell each other they much they love each other and how much they mean to one another.

This year, Esther Day meant a lot to me. Two years ago, my cousin’s best friend died of cancer. Just a week before Nicole died, she was dancing with my cousin at a birthday party. She was full of life and love. Next week, she passed away. My cousin is still struggling to deal with it. A week before Esther died, she was she making videos. In her last video she was so happy and full of life. 

I realised that life is too short. That one moment, you can have everything, then the next moment, you can lose everything and have nothing. 

So, this year, I made sure I told the people who mean a lot to me, how much they mean to me.

Mum, dad, aunties, uncles, cousins, grandparents, pets, best friends, friends and teachers, you mean so much to me. I love you.

Rest in paradise Nicole. You are missed so much.

Rest in Awesome Esther. Effyeahnerdfighters. DFTBA.  

No comments:

Post a Comment