Saturday, August 18, 2012

What I Didn't Say by Keary Taylor




What I Didn’t  Say by Keary Taylor

 


Four/five stars

Well, um, wow. This was a heartbreaking, yet somehow heart-warming novel. Keary Taylor wrote an unbelievable story about a young boy losing everything in a matter of minutes because of silly decisions. I loved this book a lot and I was a blubbering mess by the end of it!!

 

Jake Hayes has everything he wants. He has a big happy family, great friends, a solid future and a crazy crush on Samantha Shay. But one tiny mistake took everything away; his future, slowly his friends, and his voice. His one regret?  Not telling Sam how he feels because now he never will. What I Didn’t Say is about Jake learning how to deal with his accident and lack of vocal chords, and slowly becoming closer and closer to Samantha Shay.

 

I thought Jake was a good main character. He knew what he wanted to do, he was focused and sensible. He wasn’t a typical YA male character. He was thoughtful, kind and sweet and he actually cared about his family and, of course, Sam.

 

I loved Sam. She was focused and independent. After Jake’s accident, she was kind and didn’t pry. She allowed him to have a shoulder to lean on. Sam wasn’t shallow or slutty nor was she popular or a loner. She was happy to be Samantha Shay: The smartest girl in school.

 

Jake and Sam’s relationship was genuine. You could feel the chemistry between them straight away. They were a good match for each other! I think many girls would be envious of the relationship Jake and Sam had. Jake was a pretty cool boyfriend, even though he couldn’t talk.

 

This book was obviously a work of fiction, but the author made it seem very real and personal. I was touched by this wonderful story. The writing was great, the romance was brilliant and the plot was perfect. I am extremely glad I bought this book, it was totally worth it.  



No comments:

Post a Comment