Sunday, August 5, 2012

Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson



Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 

Four/five stars


This book was cuuuuuuuuuute. It was my second Morgan Matson book, but not my favourite. I liked the story line and the characters. I live in Australia so reading all the things about America was awesome! Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour made me feel happy! There were no really depressing moments, or really clichéd YA romances; e.g instant love, then break up for two days, then “ohmygod missed you so much, let’s get back together, I love you”.

One moment can change everything. Unfortunately for Amy, she has to find this out the hard way. Amy’s father died, her brother Charlie is so messed up and her mother has just decided that they will move to Connecticut. Then Charlie gets into all sorts of trouble and is put into rehab. Then Amy’s mum moves and Amy is left alone in a big house. Amy was supposed to finish up her senior year then fly over to Connecticut. Then she gets a call from her mum saying that she needs the car in Connecticut, so she will be driving there, not flying. Only problem; Amy won’t drive. Not after the accident. The solution; driving across the country for four days with Roger, a guy she doesn’t remember. Awkward. But when Amy see’s Roger, she’s shocked. He is actually kinda cute! Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour was quite epic. Amy rebelled, and she felt good, but slightly guilty. It was about time she was allowed to rebel. Charlie did all the rebelling when they were in school. Amy and Roger developed a close relationship and Amy even told Roger the truth.

I liked this book! It was cute, fun and a quick read. I liked the main characters and all the funny ones we met on the way.
Amy was actually quite strong for someone who blames herself for everything and for someone who just lost her dad. She allowed herself to cry, which many YA characters do not allow themselves to do, which is stupid and unrealistic.  I also liked how, when she saw Roger, she admitted that he was cute and that was it. She did not continue to say that he was crazy hot and that she wanted to have his babies. It was a slow relationship; acquaintances, friends, close friends then more. Their feelings for each other obviously continued to get stronger as they spent more time together and got more comfortable with each other. I liked Roger, too. He was a good character. He was understanding and determined. Very, very determined. I got a kick out of the way he ended it with Hadley! The spoilt little bitch deserved it. He handled it well.

The book was a little slow for my liking. I wish that Matson didn’t bring in Hadley’s brother because that was just a waste of time. Amy and Roger could have been working out the feelings for each other during that time. But, in saying that, the end of the book was sooooo rushed! They kissed and then BAM! everything went super-fast and before I knew it, it was over. And I didn’t want it to end. Although, I must admit, it ended well. Matson finished it, but left it open. She could definitely write another book about Amy and Roger’s relationship. It made sense that their relationship progressed quickly, but I wish that it went slower, and that the book lasted longer.

I also really loved Amy’s playlists. I love musicals so much. And I love The Producers; one of the best musicals/movies ever. I also enjoyed all the Wizard of Oz references when they went through Kansas. I did the Wizard of Oz at school in year 7 and I always quote it and sing it. You can never have enough Wizard of Oz!

Overall, it was a good book. Well thought out, exciting, fun and happy. I liked Second Chance Summer better though. I wish that Matson will write a second Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment