Saturday, August 18, 2012

Last Summer by Rebecca A. Rogers



Last Summer by Rebecca A. Rogers


Four/five stars


Last Summer was not what I expected. Don’t get me wrong, it was good, just not what I was expecting. The last couple of books I have read are all about drugs! Gosh. I didn’t actually realise this book was about drugs. Obviously, I didn’t read the blurb properly or something. This book was pretty good. *This book comes with a warning of strong language, drug use, sex and a near-rape scene*

Chloe doesn’t want to be in Sandy Shores. Her parents are going through a divorce and Sandy Shores has so many memories. When Chloe is revisiting one of the memories, she meets Logan, and that’s when her really summer begins.

Logan is a homeless drug addict. His parents kicked him out because he was a bad role model to his younger brother and he wasn’t going to go to rehab to kick his habit. He now lives in a rundown shack and is hiding from some pretty awful drug dealers. So, is it possible, when he meets Chloe, that he will take the opportunity and the challenge to finally kick his habit and maybe get a girl?

Last Summer was a pretty intense book. Like, the ending for instance was insane. It was good, though. Chloe was an alright main character. She’s the typical YA girl; parents divorcing, kinda good looking, not really popular, just spending one last summer at the beach with her screwed up family, ‘til she meets a boy. She wasn’t bad or annoying or anything, just kind of boring; nothing special. Roger was mostly the same, except a little less boring. He was a dickhead at first with a drug and trust problem. But, I guess he wasn’t so bad. He got better towards the end of the book. He was finally getting help and opening up, which improved his character. Together, Roger and Chloe were actually pretty good. Kind of a screwed up relationship, but meh, it worked. Like always, though, I wish that it was clearer whether they were boyfriend and girlfriend or what. It happens all the time in summer books!!

The mother and father were nuts. The father worse than the mother, though. He was just a wanker. I felt a bit sorry for the mother; she was dealing with a dickhead, cheating, lying husband.

The themes in this book were quite mature. I probably shouldn’t have read this book because, well, I’m not 17. But meh, I liked the book. I’m not a prude or anything, so the sex didn’t bother me, but still, probably shouldn’t have read it. Oh well.

Last Summer was a quick read! I intended it to last me during English, then science the next day, but I read it in just a few hours. It was $3 well spent. Thanks mum.

I liked how the book ended. It was perfect, and summed up nicely. I look forward to reading more of this authors books.

No comments:

Post a Comment