Saturday, August 18, 2012

Unlovable (Port Fare #1) by Sherry Gammon



Unlovable by Sherry Gammon

★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Four/five stars

This was a surprisingly good book! I actually really enjoyed it. Not only was it entertaining, it looked at issues such as drugs, emotional, mental and verbal abuse and love. I don’t know why, but I was really surprised by this book, and I am glad I read it.

Maggie is dirt poor, too skinny and lives in a trailer. Her mother verbally abuses her and is an alcoholic. Even though Maggie would never, ever take drugs of any sort after seeing what alcohol alone can do to people, she looks exactly like a heroin addict; skinny, protruding bones. Maggie is very private so how come when she meets the mysterious and very cute new kid in school, why is she suddenly letting him in?

Seth Prescott, undercover cop at a high school, is focused on “infiltrating the dealers, finding the suppliers” (quote 21 JUMP STREET, mofos). So when he suddenly starts feeling like an awkward teenage boy around Maggie, who looks like a walking example of what heroin can do to you, why is she so hard to resist? He is an undercover cop looking for people like her; he shouldn’t be wanting to get with her, not at all.

I really, really enjoyed this book. It was fun, exciting and romantic. I liked the characters and the story line. Maggie was a solid character. She was similar to the usual YA character standards, but something was different about her. She had maturity, maybe? I particularly liked Seth as a character because, although he was young, he was past the age of a dickhead teenage boy. He was romantic, sweet and really and truly cared about his job, friends and looking after Maggie. Both characters were quite mature for a YA book, and that’s probably why I liked them so much. I also really loved Booker! He was hilarious and such a cool character.

I do not understand why I liked this book so much. I mean, yes it was good, but it still had errors and the usual YA clichéd crap, but it was just so good that I’m going to overlook that. Oh, the difference between this book and other books? Maybe it was the drug side of the book, or perhaps the police parts? I don’t know but whatever it was, totally worked for me!

So yeah, I really enjoyed this book and I cannot wait to read more of this authors work!

No comments:

Post a Comment