Sunday, August 5, 2012

Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful #1) by Jamie McGuire


Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 

Four/five stars

If I had to describe Beautiful Disaster in one word it would be rollercoaster. This book is insane! It really is a beautiful disaster. It made me feel all the emotions. I was happy, then sad, then heart-broken, then crazy happy again! It was crazy, but perfect.

Abigail Abernathy is a good girl. Or at least, she appears to be. She has the right amount of cardigans and is a perfect student. When her best friend, America, drags her along to a fight in the basement, Abby finds herself in the spotlight with resident bad-boy and the perfect definition of a man-whore, Travis Maddox. Abby isn't interested in a relationship, especially with Travis, who reminds her so much of the old life she is trying to run away from, so how come it's so hard to resist? Everyone knows Travis doesn't date. He screws girls, then leaves them. No strings-attached. So when he meets Abby, the only girl who isn't interested in him, how come he feels a pull towards her? How come he can't leave her alone? How come he can no longer touch another woman?Beautiful Disaster follows Abby on her quest to finally be free of her demons and fighting her confusing feelings for Travis.

This was the second time I had read Beautiful Disaster, and I have to say, it kind of grew on me! I enjoyed it this time round so much more. This book is like the nerd equivalent of drugs. It is so addictive! I couldn't stop reading. Even though I knew what was happening, and what was coming, I couldn't bring myself to stop reading it, so I found myself reading at all kinds of strange hours.

I enjoyed Beautiful Disaster, but there were some things that just didn't work for me. Like how Travis was kind of creepy, and needed to deal with his anger. He bet against everything, even his relationship with Abby. The first bet in the book sealed the relationship between Travis and Abby. It was obvious what was going to happen after that. Although, I do commend the author on having such interesting twists and turns, it was quite intriguing. Also, Travis's anger issues! He went crazy in some parts of the book. I understand that he already had issues and being with Abby centred him and calmed him down, but that's not very reliable. It's quite stupid, actually. I hope I do not depend on someone that much. As if they are the air I need to breathe.

I had no issues with Abby. She was a well-developed character with a mysterious and dark past. She was an opinionated woman, who wasn't afraid to say what she thought, especially to Travis, which helped shaped Travis's character. Travis needed a wakeup call, and Abby gave him just that, with her brutally honest remarks and witty and sarcastic comments. I particularly enjoyed this quote from Abby:

"I didn't say you're a bad person. I just don't like being a foregone conclusion for the sole reason of having a vagina." 

There were no problems with the other characters. Sometimes, they annoyed me, but they weren't a big part of the story. It was Travis's and Abby's story, through and through. Although, I did fall in love with Finch! He reminded me of someone I know and was constantly making me smile whenever he was in the story.

Beautiful Disaster was, as its name suggests, a beautiful disaster. The story line was well thought out, the characters were developed and the romance was honest. I'm glad I got the opportunity to re-read this book, as it was so much better the second time.

Thank you to NetGalley and Simon & Schuster for giving me the opportunity to read this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment