Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Obsidian (Lux #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout 

★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 

Four/five stars


Since just about everyone on Goodreads has read this book and has given it really good reviews, I really wanted it read it. At first, I had no idea what this was going to be about, but I read one really good review and I decided this book was a must. I am glad I read Obsidian because it was actually really good. It was funny and original. I really, really enjoyed this.

After the death of her father, Katy’s mother has decided to move. Unfortunately for Kat, that means moving to boring West Virginia, right before her senior year of school. Kat’s mother urges her to go out and make some friends before school and not sit on the internet all day, so Kat goes to visit her neighbours. When sexy, hot, muscly Daemon Black opens the door, Kat is momentarily stunned. He is beyond gorgeous. Until he talks. He’s a complete dickhead and a douche bag to Kat. She is infuriated and embarrassed. When his sister approaches Kat, she profoundly apologises for his behaviour. Unlike Daemon, Dee is incredibly nice and kind to Kat. But when Kat and Dee start getting closer, what will be revealed? And what happens when Kat and Daemon start getting closer and closer? Evil aliens? Check. 

This was such an original book! I really enjoyed it; even when Daemon was being suck a douche. The story line was intriguing and different and suspenseful. I loved every bit of this book and had to buy the sequel straight away!

I think one character really truly made this book. Obviously, in a book, characters make the story, but in Obsidian it was different. Katy/Kat was a strong main character. She didn’t put up with Daemon’s bullshit; whenever he was a dick, she made sure she had clever comebacks and put him in his place. Nowadays, YA protagonists can be such awful creatures; they are weak and angsty and stupid. But Katy was different. Not only did I love the storyline and the alien parts, I honestly loved Katy the most. She was what I looked forward to in my day.

Daemon is, quite frankly, the biggest dickhead I have ever had the displeasure of reading about. He was awful! Sure, some guys in YA books now know how they look, and use it to get the girls, but some of them aren’t complete dickheads (well… kinda), but Daemon was something else. He was arrogant, rude, cocky, over confident and horrible. URGH! He completely pissed me off. He was not a pleasant character.

Dee was so cute! With her crazy, energetic behaviour, she did remind me of Alice Cullen though. But she was different. She ate a crazy amount of food, which always amused and frightened Katy. 

Obsidian was such an original, refreshing and intense story. I loved every minute of it, I just had to buy the sequel, Onyx

No comments:

Post a Comment