Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally




Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally

★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 

Four/five stars

I have wanted to read Catching Jordan for a while now. In fact, it was one of the first books I added on Goodreads. For some reason, I decided to put it off. I bought it on Saturday night and completely devoured it. It was a quick, short read, but it was plenty of fun. Catching Jordan kept me entertained and guessing throughout entire book! I really, really liked this book and will definitely be reading more of Kenneally’s work. 

Football has been Jordan Woods’s life for as long as she can remember. It runs in her blood; her dad is a famous football player and her brother soon will be too. Jordan is good at football and has always been regarded as one of the boys, not in a sexist way or anything, it’s just true. She prefers hanging out with her football guy friends than talking about boys, hair, clothes and make-up with the other girls. But when the gorgeous Ty Green suddenly shows up at her school, and on her football ground, why is she suddenly so threatened? And why is she feeling this way about a boy? Uh-oh, Jordan Woods cannot lose focus this year, she needs to keep her quarterback position and get into her first preference college. She cannot let her heart get in the way.

Normally in a book, when a guy and a girl are best friends, and then suddenly a new boy pops in and threatens the relationship, it is obvious the girl is going to fall for the new guy, but the best friend will always be there. (Does that make sense?). In Catching Jordan, this was definitely the case, but somehow it was different. I was so captivated by everything in this book, including the boys and even the football! There were many twists and turns that left me guessing all the way though. As soon as you thought you knew what was going to happen, something else changed and you were left shocked again. I loved the suspense, even though it frustrated and nearly killed me. This book was definitely a heart breaker!

Jordan was an awesome character. There was no teenage girl shit from her. She was happy to be consumed by football and by guys. Most of all, she was happy to just to be herself. When her non-existent love life suddenly becomes insane, Jordan is flustered, but cool. She knew she needed to focus, and that’s what she did. Towards the end she lost a bit of her cool though, but that was understandable. I think Jordan dealt with everything nicely and that she was a wonderful character.

Ty Green was not my favourite character in the world. He was arrogant and controlling and way too sure of himself. He practically marched into Jordan’s life and onto her football field and started controlling everything. I really did not like it and wished that Jordan had reconsidered him. She knew that something was different and wrong about him, but she was so lost in her world of lust she didn’t deal with him. I did not enjoy Jordan’s gushing about Ty because he was, quite frankly, a dickhead.

Sam Henry, aka Henry, was the cutest boy ever. At first, there were so many boys in the picture for Jordan that I didn’t register the significance of Henry, but then it became clear. Henry was the best friend in this situation, if you catch my drift! I totally fell for Henry. He was so cute and protective. Him and Jordan had a lovely relationship; although, how he acted annoyed the shit out of me. God, I wish he just grew up and grew some balls and dealt with Jordan.



"“For what it’s worth,” Dad says, running his fingers over the picture, “I’ve never seen anyone run faster than Henry after you hurt your knee last week.”"

There were plenty of other characters that I liked and that made me laugh. 

There was only one bad thing about this book, and that is the ending. It kind of just… ended. Boom, bam, done. No warning what-so-ever, it was just over. I really think that Kenneally could’ve ended this a bit better because it was such an awesome book. I was disappointed. 

Catching Jordan was a perfect, fun, witty book. I was laughing and cringing and dying in frustration. I loved this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment