Monday, September 24, 2012

Heaven (Halo #3) by Alexandra Adornetto



Heaven by Alexandra Adornetto

★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ 

Three/five stars

I was really looking forward to finally reading Heaven as I really enjoyed the first two books in the Halo series. Unfortunately, this book just didn’t do it for me. There wasn’t an obvious plot and the characters annoyed me so much. The romance was crappy, cheesy and over the top. I don’t even know what to say about this book, I was that disappointed.

Bethany and Xavier love each other, no matter what. No one can get in the way of their relationship and love; except the Sevens, rogue angels sent from Heaven. Everything was going smoothly with Beth and Xavier’s relationship, until they slip up, yet again. The two of them were only thinking of themselves and didn’t bother to think about the consequences.  Within the first four chapters, the couple make a stupid decision, act too quickly, are the cause death and are on the run. From there onwards, the book goes significantly downhill and ridiculous. Xavier and Beth encounter scary angels and so much other shit that I can’t even remember. Adornetto constantly had something happening in the book, but for some reason, it didn’t appeal to me. There were too many obstacles and it was very hard to keep track of. Heaven was not enjoyable.

Ok, so in case you haven’t already guessed, I did not like Heaven. It was sloppy and too fast paced. Usually, fast paced is good; but not in this case. It was stupid. The characters barely had time to catch their breath before they had to go off on some dangerous mission or encounter more scary rogue angels. The plot (wait, what plot?!), was… crap. There was way too much happening in the book at all times and I didn’t enjoy it. My brain was vomiting back the crap I was reading.

Bethany annoyed me so much. I liked her, even though she was a naïve little thing, in Halo, and I thought that she handled her situations in Hades well, but in Heaven she was weak. She was reckless and weak, a typical YA character. I liked her in the first chapter or so, and then she just turned to crap. In the middle of the book, she didn’t really mean anything to me, but towards the end, I was ready to kill her. She was stupid, weak, selfish and reckless. I strongly disliked Beth.

Normally Xavier was the big knight in shining armour guy, but he didn’t do anything for me this time around. He was almost as reckless and selfish as Beth.

The only characters I actually liked were Gabriel, Ivy and Molly.

Molly’s boyfriend, Wade, had a part in the story too. He turned out to be a reasonable, if useless, part of the story, but he was a character. What he did towards the end of the books was… stupid, but I thought that something else would happen with him. Like maybe he, too, like the Sevens, was on the hunt for Beth, or something. But he pretty much just trashed their house, and then he wasn’t in the book anymore. I was expecting some epic finale between them all but… nope.

The ending was… suspenseful. Actually, I think it was the only part of the book I liked. Beth actually did something useful, and was actually alright. The ending was also very abrupt. Not that that was a bad thing because I didn’t like the book, but still. I think it could’ve ended better. Even my friend, who liked the book, agreed.

Overall I was very disappointed with this book. I was highly anticipating Heaven, but it let me down. I didn’t like the characters, and didn’t understand the sorry excuse for a plot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment