Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Meant To Be by Lauren Morrill



Meant To Be by Lauren Morrill

★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ 

One/ five stars

It took me almost a month to read this book. That is seriously sad. I devour books in a matter of days, not weeks, let alone a month. I was so excited to read this book. It seemed like a cute little, travelling love story. I was right, it was a cute love story, but not until the last few chapters. I did not connect well with this book; it did not grab me or interest me in any way. I am so, so disappointed in this book. What’s that quote? “Expect the worst. That way you’ll never be disappointed.”

Julia aka Book Licker is a straight laced, straight A student, until one dangerous class trip to London. She is paired with Jason. Jerk, cool kid, Jason. At first, Jason and Julia act like mortal enemies, but as the trip continues, Julia starts receiving mysterious texts (FROM A GUY!), so the least Jason can do is help her. Jason leads the both of them on a hunt across London, to possibly start Julia’s love life. But could Julia find what she thought was impossible: her MTB? Her true love?

I did not at all, even a little bit, like Julia. She was uptight, cocky, arrogant, annoying, irritating, bitchy and too good for everyone else. She was smart, yes, but she was only book smart. She needed to be street smart, socially smart, for me to like her. I think one quote from Jason perfectly sumed Julia up:

“If you would pull your head out of your guidebooks for point two seconds, maybe you’d see that you’re not the lonely victim you’re always pretending to be. There are people who actually care about you… You know what your problem is? Nobody’s good enough for you. You live in a fantasy world. And if you don’t wake up, you’ll end up alone, with your books and four million number-two pencils.”

I didn’t particularly like Jason either, but he was a lot better than Julia. Everyone was better than Julia. At least Jason actually cared about Julia and other things, just a little bit. It was, after all, a little bit more than Julia cared for things.

I am unbelievably let down by this book. I thought, maybe just maybe, it would give My Life Next Door a run for its money, but no way. I didn’t like anything about this book, except for the ending. The ending was kind of cute, and well… it signaled the end of this God awful book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment